If you watched the 2016 movie the Accountant, one thing that will stand out to you is all the famous paintings in the movie. In particular, the movie shows one Jackson Pollock painting known as Free Form (1946)
We do not know precisely how much the Jackson Pollock Free Form painting is worth, but we know that it is owned by the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, and the painting in the movie The Accountant is a reproduction or copy. Similar Jackson Pollock paintings have sold for over $100 million. So we know that Jackson Pollock’s paintings are valuable in today’s art market.
The Accountant Movie (2016) And Jackson Pollock
The Accountant Movie (2016) stars Ben Affleck as Christain Wolff, an accountant that was diagnosed with autism. This movie shows several famous paintings; among them is the painting Free Form (1946) by Jackson Pollock.
At the movie’s end, the Accountant (Christian Wolf) plays a central role along with the Jackson Pollock painting. The painting shown in the film is not an original Jackson Pollock painting but a reproduced copy of his Free Form 1946.
Possible Value of The Jackson Pollock Free Form (1946)
The painting in the movie The Accountant is a Jackson Pollock painting called the Free Form (1946). The Free Form is typical of many of Jackson Pollock’s other types of paintings and styles.
Here are a few facts about the painting and what it could be worth:
- Free Form (1946) – The Free Form 1946 is owned by MoMA in New York. It is not owned by the movie the Accountant.
- Free Form In The Accountant Is A Copy – The Free Form (1946) in the movie The Accountant is a copy and not the original, so it does not have a lot of value as it is a copy.
- David Geffen Sold A Pollock Painting For 140 Million – The Hollywood Entertainment magnate David Geffen sold a Jackson Pollock painting in 2016 called No 5 (1948) for $140 million. This is not the same painting as the Free Form (1946), but it can give us an idea of how much an original Jackson Pollock painting can be worth. The painting was a private sale, so the prices of the painting or the sale have not been confirmed. But it shows how valuable many Jackson Pollock paintings are in today’s market.
- Value Is Due To Provenance – The David Geffen painting has sold for so much because the Jackson Pollock painting has what is known as pristine provenance. There are a lot of Jackson Pollock copies out there that are hard to verify if they are real or copies of Jackson Pollock’s artwork.
- Jackson Pollock’s ArtWork Is Now Valuable – Jackson Pollock’s artwork is now considered very valuable. He is considered one of the founders of the abstract expressionism movement and a creator of action painting. His work is original and creative. He also inspired many other artists and art movements after him. This even though he did not see much success in his lifetime. He rarely could sell a painting for over US$10,000 and struggled quite a bit with money and finances, yet today his paintings are going for millions of dollars.
About Free Form (1946) Jackson Pollock
It is thought that Jackson Pollock’s Free Form painting was one of his first drip-style paintings. He began by painting the entire canvas red, adding black and white tangles, and pulling up paint.
Pollock painted this using his action painting technique by flinging and dripping diluted oil paint with a brush and stick. This painting is not very large as it is 19 1/4 inches by 14” (48.9 cm x 35.5 cm).
Even though the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) owns the painting, it is not always on display at the museum.
Jackson Pollock’s Abstract Expressionism Action Painting
Jackson Pollock is one of the founders of the art movement known as abstract expressionism. He also was a creator of what is known as action painting.
The Free Form painting by Jackson Pollock is an excellent example of action painting. Action painting is when the painters would work in a very spontaneous way and use using large brushes to make sweeping gestural marks.
Jackson Pollock was known to place his canvas on the ground and to dance around the canvas while pouring paint from the can or trailing the canvas from behind with a brush or stick. This is why action painting is known to place the inner impulses of the artist onto the canvas itself.
Jackson Pollock is said to have placed his inner emotions, many of them his inner demons, onto the canvas he painted.
In the movie The Accountant, the Jackson Pollock painting would have also represented some of the inner demons that the Accountant (Christian Wolff) had and why the painting was such a powerful representation for the film metaphor.
We have a free newsletter and would love you to be part of our community; you can subscribe to the newsletter by clicking here. I would be happy to talk to you if you have any questions. You can reach me, Anita, by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Anita Louise Art YouTube Channel with great videos and information by clicking here.
Did They Use An Original Jackson Pollock Painting In Ex Machina Or A Replica?
They would have used a copy of this painting No 5 (1948) as the painting was sold by David Geffen, a Hollywood producer and film studio executive, for over $140 million USD in 2006. Geffen would have sold the painting long before the movie was produced, and no respectable art collector would place such a valuable work of art on a film set or studio.
By clicking here, you can learn more by reading Did They Use An Original Jackson Pollock Painting In Ex Machina Or A Replica?.
What Makes Jackson Pollock’s Art So Valuable?
Jackson Pollock was a brilliant and creative artist who was not afraid to try new techniques with art. He is known for being a founder of Abstract Expressionism and the gestural technique, also known as action painting. He never saw much success in his lifetime, but today his painting fetch millions of dollars and are considered extremely valuable.
Understanding Jackson Pollock’s Paintings And His Art
Understanding that Jackson Pollock has absolute honesty in his paintings, he shows us his great technique and ability to use paint in ways that have never been used before. His paintings are very dimensional, so when you look at them in one way but get up close, you may see another way. He’s not trying to fool us in any way but just saying here, view it as you want to see it.
By clicking here, you can learn more by reading Understanding Jackson Pollock’s Paintings And His Art.