Every artist should look for ways to find art inspiration all around them. The world is filled with art inspiration if you know how and where to look for it.
We have 5 tips to help you find art inspiration like 1) get artistic eyes, 2) take a lot of inspiration photos, 3) study the work of the art masters, 4) copy the work of the art masters, and 5) draw in an art journal. All of these will help you to find artistic inspiration.
You should look upon your art as a journey, not a destination because you should spend your life finding ways to improve your art.
Coming up with ideas for your art is not always easy. If you follow these 5 tips for finding art inspiration then you should always have a lot of ideas on things you can paint or art projects you can get started on.
Get Artistic Eyes
One of the most important things you can do when you are starting to paint or for any form of art is to change your eyes from everyday eyes to artistic eyes
Here is what having artistic eyes means:
- See A Painting – As you are watching the sun go down, you do not just see a beautiful sunset you start to see a painting. You look at the colors and how the sun is setting. You see all the vivid oranges, reds, and other colors you think about how they will look painted on your canvas. When you have artistic eyes you see the sunset in so much more depth and you start to imprint that shadows and colors on your mind.
- See Shadows – When you have artistic eyes and you are talking to someone you also start to see some of the shadows on their face and you remember this for the time in the future when you are going to paint a face. With artistic eyes, you see things differently like the shadows, lights, and darks edges.
- See Composition – No matter what you are doing or what you are looking at with artistic eyes you see the art composition. You then commit that to memory as you know it will help you when are painting.
Snap Photos For Inspiration
Photos are a great way to capture something you want to paint or to capture some inspiration. Today this is so easy to do as you do not need to carry an expensive camera around, all you need is a smartphone that has a camera.
The smartphones today take wonderful photos. I use my smartphone to take a lot of photos I use for my blog posts. There is so much you can do today with your smartphone camera.
Use your smartphone as a camera to snap a lot of photos for inspiration. It will help you remember those images so you can paint them. We also suggest that you use a program like Procreate and you can import the photos and the manipulate and adjust it before you even paint it.
You can find out more about using Procreate by reading our blog Procreate to Layout your Oil Paintings, What You Need to Know by clicking here.
Study The Art of the Masters
One of the most time-honored ways of learning art is in studying the art of the masters. This was one reason in the 19th and early 20th century so many of the North European artists went to Italy so that they could study the work of the Italian masters. They understood then they through their study of the Italian masters who had gone before them it would help them to develop their own style.
So these artists would systematically study the work of other artists as they knew it helped them with their own artistic technique, composition, and style.
If you study the art of the masters it can also help you by:
- Learning new techniques – Through studying the work of great artists you can learn a lot of new techniques. Everything from how they did their brushwork to how they mixed their paints.
- Learning about composition – The masters were extremely skilled at composition. By studying their composition it can help you to bring these composition techniques into your own artwork.
- Understanding your art style – Studying the artwork of the masters is not about trying to clone them or become just like them, but instead, it is about you developing your own unique artistic style.
This is why we suggest that you study all kinds of work of the art masters. Learn about them – their artwork,- their lives and their art techniques, composition and style. It will help you with your own artwork.
Today this is easier than ever. You do not even need to travel the world. There is a ton of information available online including on art blogs. (Check out our blog all the artists we have written about).
Some art museums even offer free online virtual tours of their collections. Check out our blog on 11 Virtual Art Museum Tours That Will Cost You Nothing by clicking here. You can tour these art museums from the comfort of your own home.
Copy The Master’s Artwork
Many of the Impressionist arts would go to the Louvre in Paris to copy the artwork of the masters. Today many art schools put the copying of the work of the art masters as part of their curriculum. They want their students to go out to the museums and other places to copy the art of the masters.
Vladimir London from The Khan Drawing Academy has said this as to why copying the art masters is so important.
Drawing and Sketching In An Art Journal.
Drawing and sketching in an art journal is a great way to improve yourself as an artist and to find inspiration for your art. When you see something that interests you or an idea for a painting comes into your mind, then you can draw it down. That way you can go back to it later as an idea for a piece of artwork. An artist should always carry a sketchbook and some pens or pencils so they can sketch out their ideas that they see in the world around them.
I feel like having an art journal is a great thing but you do not need to have an actual physical art journal, instead of today with the use of technology, you can have a digital art journal. I recommend that you consider getting an Ipad and then use the Procreate app to draw out your art and design ideas.
Here are the reasons why we love using our Ipad and the Procreate app as our Art Journal:
- It is portable – Using an Ipad that has the Procreate app on it is practical for most people and also very portable.
- It is easy and convenient – I find if I have my art journal on something like my iPad, then I have a better chance to actually use it more often as it is easy and convenient to use.
- it is digital – I love that it is all digital. This makes it easy to organize or even share your art journal with others.
- Like a pen, pencil, and paper – Using Procreate and an Ipad as an art journal works just like you had a pen, pencil, and paper in hand. Procreate allows you to adjust the settings so that your apple pencil can work very close to an actual pen or pencil.
If you know where and how to look for it, there is art inspiration all around you. By actively seeking to develop these 5 tips of 1) getting artistic eyes, 2) taking a lot of inspiration photos, 3) studying the work of the art masters, 4) copying the work of the art masters, and 5) drawing in an art journal it will help you to become a better artist.
How Can Procreate Help You Become A Better Oil Painter?
Procreate is an award-winning IPad App that was designed specifically for the Apple Ipad. Like many of the Apple programs, this program is user-friendly and has a lot of very nice features.
There are several ways that you can use procreate to become a better oil painter. Procreate can help you set up palettes and color combinations, and to do a layout of your painting before you paint it. I find it a very essential tool to help me with my oil painting.
To discover more of how Procreate can help you with your painting you can read our blog on How Procreate Can Help You Be a Better Oil Painter by clicking here.
How Can I Use Procreate to Help Me Layout My Artwork On My Canvas?
If you know how to layout your painting onto the canvas it can make your painting easier. It will help you to get your proportions on your painting correct.
We have outlined six very easy steps to properly layout our painting on the canvas. We first layout our painting on Procreate. Once we have it laid out on Procreate then we will print it out. We like to print it out in the size of our actual canvas so that we can then use the print to trace onto the canvas. Once we have traced it on the canvas and also checked it and fill in the lines we need then we are ready to start painting.
You can find out more about these six basic steps by reading our blog 6 Easy Steps to Layout Your Painting On the Canvas by clicking here.