Procreate is a great app that you can use on your Apple iPad to layout your paintings and help you become a better artist. There are a lot of great things about Procreate.
Procreate will help saves you time because it will help you plan your painting; you will not need to paint over your artistic mistakes. Procreate can also be used as an online sketchbook or art journal. Procreate can help you to decide on a color before you actually paint that color on a canvas.
Here is a video you can watch that shows how Procreate can help you to layout your paintings before you ever put a brush on the canvas. Click on the link below to view the video.
I think Procreate is really a great tool, and though you need to invest in an Apple Ipad, an Apple Pencil, and the Procreate program – we still consider it an essential tool for any artist. Using Procreate can help you with your painting and save you time in the long run.
All About Procreate
To use the Procreate App, you will need to have an Apple Ipad Air or Apple Ipad Pro with a pencil. You must also have an Apple operating system that is updated enough to run the app. (Needs an operating system of iOS 11.1 or newer).
The Procreate program is not very expensive (9.99USD) for the entire program, and it has a lot of great support with it. If you are in the United States, you can go into most Apple Stores, and they have some basic classes on how to use the Procreate App on their iPad. If you do not have an iPad, they will give you one to try out.
Why Use Procreate?
You may ask yourself why use Procreate? Many artists may like the old-fashioned way of using a pencil and sketch pad to put down ideas. There is nothing wrong with that, but there are many advantages to using Procreate as your digital sketch pad.
Here are some ways that you can use Procreate:
- Sketch Out and Organize Your Ideas – Procreate can act as your sketch pad. You can sketch out your ideas for a painting or piece of artwork on Procreate. You then export the sketch if you want to print out a copy of your sketch. Procreate will also allow you to stack or organize your sketches so you can easily find them. This is a great way to keep digitally organized.
- Layout Your Paintings – One of the great things I love about Procreate is that it helps me to be able to layout my paintings before I ever paint. This means before I put a brush onto the canvas I have a colored printed copy of what I am going to paint. My paintings are pretty much already set up and I have a pretty good idea of how it will look.
- Decide on Colors – Many times I am not sure what kind of background I want to paint on a painting. So I will put the painting in Procreate and Procreate will allow me to easily change the background colors until I see a color that I want to have. I really love this feature as I find it helps to save me a lot of time. In the past many times I would paint a background one color and then I did not like it so I would start over again. But since using Procreate I have not had to do much of this. I pretty much know what I am going to do before I put a brush on to my canvas.
- Can Adjust Things – As I mentioned I paint many animals and when I paint them I may put things on them as fun hats or necklaces, etc. With Procreate I can set this all up before I paint them and also adjust any sizes as needed. For example, I painted a camel called Pirates of the Gobi Desert. It was from a picture of a Camel I rode in the Gobi desert of Mongolia. I wanted to paint him with a Pirates hat and eye patch like a Pirate would wear. I was able to use Procreate to adjust the size of the Pirate’s hat and also the eye patch before I even painted the camel. This allowed me to start off with some artwork that was already correct for the size and other things I wanted before starting to paint.
Some artists may think, isn’t it better to do it all the old-fashioned way and sketch things right on the canvas or first in a sketchbook? Maybe for many, it is. But I am a great believer in learning to use all the technological tools that can help me to save time. This is how I see Procreate; it helps improve my painting and painting skills.
Procreate App Ideas
There are many ways that you can use Procreate as an artist. You can think of Procreate as your Digital Sketch Pad to keep all your sketches organized in digital form. Instead of having a sketch pad to put your inspiration in, Procreate, and your Ipad can work as your digital sketch pad.
You can also use Procreate actually to practice painting. Many of the great masters spent a lot of time sketching or laying out their paintings exactly as they wanted them, maybe even practicing a bit to get it exactly right. The great artists would have the subjects they were painting sit for hours in the same pose.
But with Procreate, you can snap a photo and then change or adjust it on your iPad. You can also use Procreate as a way to help you layout your painting.
One of the great things about Procreate is that it uses the latest technology; with Procreate, you can have the designs on the iCloud and never lose a piece of work even if you lose your Ipad as long as you back up your entire Ipad including your Procreate files.
I love how everything is right there, and if you are like me, you may bring your Ipad almost everywhere with you, so you always have the Ipad ready to sketch, paint or jot down an idea.
Change Photos as Per Your Painting
I am like many artists that I usually paint from an original photograph. Procreate allows you to import a photograph onto the canvas, and then you can take that photo and manipulate it in various ways.
You do this by adding layers to the canvas, just like your own painted canvas.
Here are some of the ways I use Procreate to change my painting
- Set Up Palettes – Procreate has a great function that allows you to set up your color palettes just as you would set up your colors on your own palette. I really like this function as it allows me to have palettes all ready to go and to use. This makes designing my artwork with my preferred colors very easy. You can even import a photograph of an older piece of artwork and Procreate will help you to define the colors you used.
- Change Colors – You can change the colors of the original photograph so that it will be closer to what you want to paint. I use this a lot in that I may erase my photograph’s background in Procreate and then add another background to it. As I tend to like a lot of bright-colored backgrounds it allows me to experiment on what shades or colors would be best for my background color before I ever paint a single brush stroke on my canvas.
- Adjust the layout – You can use Procreate to manipulate the photo you are going to paint so that it will be exactly as you want to paint it. You can erase part of the photo and then by using the layering feature you can also add to the photo. You can even layer photos on top of photos.
I paint a lot of animals, so I use these features in Procreate quite a bit. For example, I recently painted a chicken, and I wanted to add a necklace. Hence, I found a necklace I liked and imported the necklace on another layer of the Procreate canvas to see how the necklace looked on the chicken I was painting. It helps me take the guesswork out of what I am painting by laying it all out before starting painting.
Layout Your Painting
You can also use Procreate to layout your painting. Procreate has a lot of different kinds of brushes that you can use that will mimic oil paintings. Procreate helps you to do the following:
- Layout Oil Painting – You can first sketch out your oil painting just like you would on your actual canvas. This first layer you can eventually delete or take off so that it will not show.
- Add the Paint Colors and Brush Strokes – You can add the paint colors and brush strokes on to the first layer by adding additional layers. In Procreate you can also change the size of the brushes and decide what kind of brush you will use and how you will use the brush strokes. You can basically layer on to the canvases as you use your Apple Pencil to paint on the Procreate as you would your own canvas. You can completely layout your painting before you even put a paintbrush on your canvas.
- Can Check Out Colors – With Procreate you can also check out the colors that you will put on the actual canvas before you put them down This way you can check to see if you like the color or the color combinations before you actually mix the colors or put them on the canvas.
To find out more about Procreate and using it to help you be a better artist, you can read our blog How Procreate Can Help You Be a Better Oil Painter by clicking here.
One of the great things about Procreate is that you can layout and plan your painting before you even put a single stroke on your canvas. This is really a great advantage as it can save you a lot of time in the long run.
When used correctly, Procreate can be a really great tool to help you with your paintings and artwork before you even get started. It is a great way to layout and plans your painting before you actually start painting. This will help you to be able to save a lot of time and effort in the painting process, as you will already have an idea of how your painting will look before you even put a single brush stroke on the canvas.
Anita Louise Art is #ArtThatMakesYouSmile. If you are interested in my art, you can find out more by clicking here. If you are interested in what inspires me and my paintings, you can discover more by clicking here.
We have a free newsletter and would love to be part of our community; you can subscribe to the newsletter by clicking here. If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you any time. You can reach me, Anita, by clicking here.
Is Procreate the Very Best Drawing App?
Yes, Procreate is definitely one of the best drawing apps, and it just continues to get better and better with each new version. The major drawback is that you need to have an Apple Ipad and pencil to use it, but it is worth the investment. Once you learn to use Procreate, there are many different ways you can use it, including just basic sketching and using it as a digital sketchbook. The app is extremely user-friendly and easy to master.
What is Procreate Good For?
Procreate is great for sketching, drawing, painting, and even designing.
It has exceptional performance capabilities, which include a powerful layering tool, along with hundreds of pencil and brush options and unlimited amounts of colors you can put onto color palettes. You also have the ability to import photos into the app along with importing, creating, and sharing custom brushes.
We love to Procreate because most Apple Stores will support it in that you can sign up for a Procreate Class, and they will even loan you an iPad where you can try out the Ipad Procreate before you actually buy it. I have learned a lot about Procreate by attending these sessions at the Apple Store.