Vincent van Gogh is probably one of the most talked-about artists. He is someone that most people have heard about his name.
Many things make Vincent Van Gogh unique and great as an artist. He had a great way to use color in his art, but more than that, he was an artist who set and paved the way for other artists. He changed art with his brushstroke technique, how he used color, and his design abilities. Van Gogh did all this as a self-taught artist.
Van Gogh’s Amazing Art
We cannot discuss what makes Van Gogh great without discussing his unique artistic style. Before his death, his creation of his paintings took on some urgency. Maybe he had a suspicion that he would be dying one day soon.
In the seventy days leading up to his death, Van Gogh is said to have an average of one painting per day; for these paintings, many times, he used the paint directly from the paint tube.
Here are some things that made Van Gogh such a great artists and his art so captivating:
- Beleived in Drawing – Van Gogh was a great believer that to be a great painter you had to master drawing. So he spent a lot of time perfecting his drawing technique. It was only after he felt that he was satisfied with his ability to draw that he then began to add colour to his artwork.
- Studied Movement and Form – Van Gogh believed his study of drawing allowed him to study movement and form; this helped him perfect his painting. The background he acquired through his art and study of movement and forms comes out in his artwork. It is one of the reasons why his artwork is able to appeal to so many different people.
- Experimented – Van Gogh was not afraid to experiment or to try new things. For example he produced nearly 150 watercolour painting at the start of his career. He also experimented with lithography and went on to create a series of 10 graphic works – nine lithographs and 1 etching. He did not just stick with one type a medium but instead was willing to explore out to other mediums.
- Worked From Memory – Later in his life he started to paint from memory. This meant that many of Van Gogh’s painting started to become less realistic. The painting Starry Night is an example of this as he painted this painting mainly in the day instead of at night.
- Use of Color – Van Gogh is probably most well known for his use of colors; he sometimes used complementary colors to brighten his paintings. Other times he would limit his pallet to just a few colors. But more than that he had the ability to know when, where, how and what color to use
- See Into His Mind – Many of his paintings is allows us – the viewer- to get a glmpse into his mind. His dreams, his visions, the things he was thinking and feeling. An example of this is his famous painting Starry Night that he painted in asylum at Saint-Remy-de-Provence.
Vincent Van Gogh And His Art
Van Gogh was one of these unique artists who painted how he felt and believed; he did not follow what others were doing. He was a largely self-taught artist who changed the face of art forever.
But through all this, he was a mentally troubled yet highly skilled artist. You can see a great deal of emotion in his work, particularly his battling with his ongoing depression and other mental illnesses. Van Gogh was probably most notably known as an artist who dealt with mental illness and depression.
When Van Gogh moved to Paris, he was inspired by the impressionist and other post-impressionist painters. He adopted their bright pallets, but at the same time, he developed his unique style, which today many artists try to copy or emulate.
Van Gogh perfected his unique style and dramatic brushwork. Systematic brushstrokes or brushwork influenced Expressionism, Fauvism, and many early abstract artists.
Van Gogh understood that he needed to study art to be a great artist. He spent a lot of time researching and reading about color and how to use color. He spent time learning to draw. He spent time observing the things he wanted to paint. But most of all, he spent time with his actual art and created art.
He was a very prolific artist. In his 10 years career as an artist, he produced more than 2000 works, including 900 paintings and 1100 drawings and sketches. Yet despite this massive amount of artwork that he created, he was only known to sell one painting during his life. Van Gogh did not become a well-known artist until after his death.
One of the things that I love about Van Gogh and admire about him is that despite the fact he did not see success in his lifetime, he kept believing in himself and kept painting and creating his art. I think this is a lesson to all of us that we should continue to believe in ourselves, believe in who we are, and believe that no matter what others tell us, we can accomplish great things and become who we want to become.
One of the things that resonate with many people about Van Gogh is that even though he suffered from mental illness and depression, he still had this belief in himself and his ability to do great things with his art.
Vincent Van Gogh was considered a great artist for many reasons. His technique, brushstrokes, choices of color, subject matter, and overall artwork. He was not afraid to be a trailblazer. And art has continued to influence artists even after his death.
Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists because his paintings and style are captivating.
Great paintings and artists like Van Gogh inspire me. Anita Louise Art is dedicated to art education, great artists, and inspiring others to find and create their art. We love art that uplifts and inspires. #ArtToMakeYouSmile! #ArtToMakeYouHappy!
If you are interested to see any of my art, you can find out more by clicking here. If you are interested in what inspires me and my paintings, you can discover more by clicking here.
We have a free newsletter and would love you to be part of our community; you can subscribe to the newsletter by clicking here. If you have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you any time. You can reach me, Anita, by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Anita Louise Art YouTube Channel filled with great videos and information by clicking here.
What Was The Impact Of Vincent Van Gogh On The Art World?
Van Gogh used color, form, and emotions in his art. He had a bright palette that was individualized for his time. Even though he did not see a lot of success during his life after he died, the impact of his art can be seen in both the Expressionism and Fauvism movements that were taking place in Europe.
By clicking here, you can learn more by reading What Was The Impact Of Vincent Van Gogh On The Art World?
Why Is Van Gogh Considered Such a Great Artist?
Many things make Vincent Van Gogh unique and great as an artist. He had a great way to use color in his heart, but more than that, he was an artist who set and paved the way, and his brushstroke technique used color and his design ability. What is interesting about all this he did this as a self-taught artist.
By clicking here, you can discover more by reading Why Is Van Gogh Considered Such a Great Artist?